Meriem Collection Sale One / 644

The Meriem Collection. Lot 644

Previous | Thumbnails | Next
Click on the image below for a close up
 

**TWO SMALL UNUSUAL UNDERGLAZE-RED-AND-BLUE
PORCELAIN SNUFF BOTTLES
JINGDE ZHEN KILNS, 1810-1880
One of cylindrical form with canted shoulder and recessed foot
surrounded by a circular footrim, decorated with a continuous
landscape in which a man leads a camel towards the closed gate
of a crenellated wall, the sign over the gate reading Erligou, the
man’s coat and the camel in underglaze red, amethyst stopper
with glass finial; the other of cylindrical form with recessed foot
and canted shoulder, decorated with a continuous landscape in
which a woman holding a broom stands between two figures,
one a man with long beard and hair standing on clouds, his right
hand raised while holding a bamboo staff in the left, the stocky
figure behind her wielding a bamboo staff above his head,
tourmaline stopper with green agate finial
4.1 cm. and 4.4 cm. high (2)
$2,000-3,000

P R O V E N A N C E :
Both bottles: Potter’s Gallery, Vancouver.

The sign above the gate reads “Erligou”, which is situated in Beijing. The
bactrian camel was the beast of burden which was used by traders to ply
the Silk Route. In the Tang dynasty camels were used to transport
Chinese goods, including silk, across the difficult terrain of the Silk Route
to the eager markets of Central Asia, Samarkand, Persia and Syria.

The two-humped Bactrian camel was known in China as early as the Han
dynasty, having been brought from Central Asia and Eastern Turkestan
as tribute. Its amazing ability to survive the hardships of travel across the
Asian deserts was soon recognized and Imperial camel herds were
established under the administration of a special bureau. These Imperial
camel herds, numbering several thousand, were used for a range of
state duties, including the provision of a military courier service for the
Northern Frontier. Camels were not only prized as resilient beasts of
burden; their hair was also used to produce a cloth, which, then as now,
was admired for its lightness and warmth.
1810–1880

The Meriem Collection. Lot 644

Hugh Moss |